文章预览
A long-awaited cease-fire in the Gaza Strip took effect on Sunday after a delay of almost three hours, amid concerns that the serious trust deficit between Israel and Hamas might hamper its implementation and prospects for lasting peace in the Middle East. An announcement from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said the cease-fire began at 11:15 am, instead of the planned 8:30 am. The delay was attributed to Hamas not providing the names of three Israeli hostages set for release. Israel had said it would keep fighting until the names were handed over. Hamas cited "technical field reasons" for the delay and later named the three female hostages as Romi Gonen, Doron Steinbrecher and Emily Damari, saying it is committed to the deal announced last week. The three hostages were expected to be released after 4 pm on Sunday, Netanyahu's office said. ▲ Israeli tanks open fire in northern Gaza on Sunday before the cease-fire deal takes effect. Ilia Yefimovich/AP During the de
………………………………